Week 5 - Sound Detection

Attempting to detect sound waves from plants is a little more tricky than I previously thought. I am still holding confidence in plants being capable of emitting sound. However the tools I am listening with have not been very compatible to specifically tune into the plant and out the background noise. 
I have not been able to be in lab much this week, yet I have been researching "plant microphones". Since the hypothesized emission frequency is extremely high (between 20-100 kilohertz), I first sought for high pitched listening devices. I later recalled that there was a device someone had mentioned to me, known as the plant wave. Plant wave recognizes electrical signals in plants with electrical pads placed on the leaves. These pads are connected to a small rectangular gadget which graphs the sound wave and code this wave into pitch data which plays a corresponding melody. It is quite an ingenious idea to record plants making music. Yet, when I realized the electrical pulses were not actually making the music, but the coded system was responsible for the beautiful sounds, I was slightly disappointed. Nonetheless, this is a tremendous divide which does mostly what I am looking to do. This too was out of the price range, and would not be delivered until June. Instead I am interested in building my own version of plant wave with some modifications. 




What is ultrasonic wave?|Ultrasonic cutter and ultrasonic polisher  columns|SONOTEC

Comments

Popular Posts