Week 7 - Background

In chemistry we are taught that all matter is constantly vibrating. All things are at a “rest frequency”, which is the atomic movement of particles when an object is simply being. When a force interrupts a vibration, the frequency is altered. Therefore, I hypothesize that when stress is inflicted upon a plant it will release a changed vibration in a detectable frequency. 

Last semester I began a journey to understand how plants communicate. I have gathered a vast variety of data in support of plants capability to sense their environment. This was first sparked by a season in my life where I was walking through personal healing, and plants played a major role in soothing and comforting my mind. Ever since this time I became submerged in wonder to understand the structures and functions of plants. Specifically in this case, I am interested in how plants can respond to external stressors. Research from the fall alluded that plants do transport chemical messages back and forth as a means of communication. They respond to touch as seen in the Mimosa pudica. Plants can detect light, which can be depicted as they choose to open and close their leaves during different hours of the day. They even release certain odors to warn neighbors of impending doom. This leads me to wonder if places can emit sound in a way to talk to one another.




Comments

Popular Posts